Over the month of July the videos and blogs have focused on Five Star Hygiene Care.
Today’s blog will focus on the Doctor – Hygiene Exam
When you implement these strategies you will:
- Create Five Star Care
- Build upon your patient rapport
- Save time
- Hear more patients says “YES” to accepting your care, schedule their appointment, pay and return for routine treatment
The Doctor Hygiene Exam should be completed between 25 to 45 minutes into the 60 minute routine hygiene patient appointment
Tips to stay on time and get patients to “YES” :
- Patients of record can remain in a supine position when doctor enters to complete the exam
- New Patients should be officially introduced the beginning or before the hygiene appointment begins (more about this in another blog)
- The hygienist will sit or stand on the opposite side of doctor (Listen to “Proxemics” description in the video)
- The hygienist will lead doctor through the exam conversation
- The hygiene doctor exam should only take 5-7 minutes
Employees need to be trained to know what doctor typically recommends. Part of the initial hiring phase should include an “onboarding phase” where the hygienist learns what doctor expects in various situations. One of these situations will be when doctor diagnoses a crown, and onlay (Possibly and inlay), and implant, etc.
For example: If a patient has decay on a molar with a Class III Amalgam restoration, will doctor typically recommend a crown, an onlay, a composite restoration, or etc? When proper training between the team (in particular the hygienist) and doctor has been completed the hygienist is now in a situation to initiate the treatment planning process.
When the hygienist has been properly trained and the doctor and hygienist have calibrated various exams and services, it will save time in the hygiene appointment and more patients will say “YES” to accepting your care.
- Is your hygienist calibrated with doctor regarding what is a periodontal patient?
- Does the hygienist understand when doctor will diagnose a crown or when doctor will consider an implant?
- Does the hygienist know when to discuss Invisalign and other adjunctive services?
Calibration of services is what our team at Dental Practice Solutions works on with our clients and their team.
We are here to serve you to be sure your hygienists and the entire team understand a philosophy of care which aligns with doctors vision for the practice.
Let us know how we can serve you best.
Do you need to have more information about words to use, scripts to practice and get more patients to say “YES”?
Grab this Free Resource regarding words and phrases that ADD VALUE AND BENEFITS to Your Patient Care.
This EBOOK provides a team approach to total patient care and will increase your case acceptance and production without working harder.