Are you thinking of investing resources in an online dental marketing agency to help with your SEO efforts? Make sure to ask them these questions first.
This information is a guide for dentists. Once you read this you will understand what to ask every online dental marketing agency you talk to.
Will you explain dental SEO?
No matter which agency you partner with, your relationship must be built on trust. Specifically, you need to trust they’ll:
- Have your best interests and practice goals in mind
- Provide a return on your investment
- Apply digital marketing strategies that are proven to be successful
A good agency won’t be deceptive or add unnecessary stress and confusion to your life. If an agency you’re interested in can’t clearly and simply explain dental SEO — and the strategies they plan to use — how can you expect to trust them over the course of your relationship?
Will my practice own the work you do?
No matter what type of work an agency does for your practice, you should retain ownership of it. Make sure you always have control over the following even if your relationship with the agency is severed:
- Dental Websites
- Blog posts or other written resources
- Google Ads and other paid advertising campaigns/accounts, including historical data
- Your website’s domain name and hosting
- All web properties and social media accounts
Do you work with many other dentists?
An agency experienced in working with other dentists will have the skills, knowledge, and resources to help your practice achieve your goals. They’ll also be able to provide references and reviews from other dental practices who have experienced success with the agency.
Do you work with other dentists in my city?
You should never have to worry if your online dental marketing company has your best interests in mind.
Only work with an agency that’s committed to you. Only one practice can rank #1 in Google in a given area. Don’t you want your agency committed to getting you there? If they’re working with a competing dental office, will they always have your best interests in mind?
What is your plan to help my practice attract new patients?
While every strategy will be different, most will include some combination of…
- Content marketing
- Online advertising, including Google, Facebook, and Bing
- Technical changes to your website’s structure to improve Google search rankings
- Online reputation management — maximizing 5-star reviews
Your strategy should be specific and unique to you and based on a combination of your current online presence, goals, and local competition.
Do you have any questions for me?
Just as important as what you ask them is what they ask you. Make sure they’re asking you thoughtful questions like…
- Who is your perfect patient?
- What goals do you have for your practice over the next 1/5/10 years?
- Who are you competing with — and what sets your practice apart?
- Have you ever worked with an agency before? How was that experience?
Do you hire contractors and freelancers?
Never work with any agency with more salespeople than actual digital marketing experts. These types of agencies likely rely on outside contractors who may not bring the same quality and expertise you were promised.
The best agencies have an in-house team of experts working together under one roof. Make sure any agency you work with has experts focused on…
- Content strategy and creation
- Web design
- Paid advertising
How will I know if what you’re doing is gaining traction?
When you partner with an agency, you should never be left in the dark on how you’re being presented online. Make sure whichever agency you choose updates you regularly with…
- Summaries of their work and success
- Statistics and data detailing progress
- Strategy and plans for the future
Any great agency will want your involvement in their process. While the agency will be doing the physical work, you’ll need to be available to give feedback, provide information about your practice and services, and approve work such as content, ad campaigns, and other important work.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
As a small business owner himself, Dan DelMain knows firsthand many of the struggles dentists face when it comes to online marketing. Since 2009, Dan and his team at Delmain have helped dentists around the country increase website traffic, attract new patients, and achieve real results through their online marketing efforts.